Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 10

Discouraged isn’t the word I would exactly use, if there was a word that meant half discouraged that is the word I would use. I woke up determined to continue. Even if it was hard I really wanted to finish.
It just seems that as soon as I started the whole30 my life said “I am going to make this as hard as I can for you” and it sure has.
Breakfast was eggs again. An omelet with tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach. I think this is the one I prefer. It has a lot of veggies in it, it tastes good and it fills me up. I brought my kombucha today so I drank some after breakfast. I think kombucha is sweet and it was a sweet little treat after breakfast.
I am just so blah. I don’t love this, I don’t hate it. I am just here.
For lunch I had a salad with chicken on it and my lemon TessieMae’s dressing. It was filling and good. We got to eat outside for the first time in a long time and that made my mood and my lunch a lot better. Salads don’t usually fill you up for very long and I had a Dr’s appointment after work so I was worried I would be starving. I drank lots of water and drank my kombucha in hopes it would keep me full for the appointment.
While I was at the appointment the Dr was running really late so I read my “it starts with food” book. I am reading about the science of food and the way we eat. I won’t be very good at explaining it so you should just buy the book. But pretty much all the food we normally eat is engineered to over stimulate our taste buds and our brains so that when we eat normal food that gives our brains and taste buds the normal signals it is too weak to pick them up. Therefore we think healthy food isn’t good because we are so stimulated. Does that make sense? Probably not. Read the book. There is an entire chapter on this, and they explain it very well. It resonated as so true to me. Of course that’s the way it is.
 It also talks about the way your body tells your brain it’s full or nourished. Processed food doesn’t and the right signals, so you keep eating and end up over eating. Eating way too many calories. But when you are eating healthy food your body gets the right signals for being full or says “I am properly nourished” so therefore you eat less. I have noticed that I have been eating less on this. Smaller meals fill me up. It makes sense though. My body is finally getting healed to the point that it can recognize “I am properly nourished” and I don’t need to eat as much. I thought my stomach was shrinking but now I know that’s not it. I haven’t been eating smaller portions; my meals are just as large as they were before they are just MUCH more nutrient rich. Pretty interesting stuff.  Now that I know how much sense that makes I probably won’t ever go back to eating the way I did before. No I won’t be whole365 but the majority of my diet will be nourishing food.
My Dr’s appointment took WAY too long and I had to make dinner before going to scouts at 7. I thought I would make it until the lovely road construction crew decided to put a 6 lane road down to 1. It took FOREVER! Sugar-sauras-rex was screaming at me to just get pizza. It would be quick and easy. It would be cheap and I could grab it, eat it, and be at scouts on time. Luckily I had planned a head a little and had everything bought. With Jer losing his job I couldn’t justify buying two meals or else I probably would have caved and gotten something quick and easy, and terrible for you. I asked my husband to brine the chicken beforehand so all I had to do was put it on the grill. I was going to make “the best chicken you will ever eat” from Well Fed. It seemed pretty easy, and with brining it knew it would be really juicy. I got home with 30 minutes to spare. I made the spice rub as fast as possible, threw it on the grill and got the broccoli steaming. The chicken was BOMB! It tasted smoked, like it had been in a smoker all day long. It was so flavorful and super tasty. I used some ghee on my broccoli and at as fast as I could (not whle30 I am aware but it was better than not eating).
At scouts we played games outside, tag, mother may I, red light green light. I was able to play with the boys the entire time without getting tired. It was pretty cool. I went from feeling overwhelmed and depressed this morning to really starting to see the results this evening.
After I got home I got out some of my 100% juice ice cubes and put them in some sparking water. It’s so refreshing. I love it. This will be something I continue even after the whole30.
I thought today would be a good day to introduce you to someone. He is my sugar demon. I call him Sugar-sauras-rex. For those of you that don’t know me, I am terrified of dinosaurs. I know they are extinct, doesn’t matter. They scare me. I don’t watch Jurassic Park; I can’t even watch night at the museum because the dinosaur bones chase him. I don’t do dinosaurs. Because of this I thought this name was fitting.
Sugar-sauras-rex has lived with me my whole life. He is big and huge and has control over every decision I make. He decides my moods. He decides my vacations. He has affected my self-esteem for years. I’ve done every diet known to man. And he is just as big and mean as ever. I am afraid of him. He doesn’t limit terror to only sugar though, he loves carbs, greasy food, potatoes, diet coke. He roars really loud in my head and I can’t drown him out. When I read about the whole30 it really made me realize this could help me quiet him down. Reading how people that used to not be able to control their cravings took a hold of their life sounded wonderful to me. I still struggle with him every day. He is mean and abusive and tells me I cannot finish the whole30. It is a constant fight. But it’s a fight I am willing to make. Hopefully soon I will be able to beat him down and tell him he has no place in my life anymore. I cant wait to say “no way Mr. Sugar-saruas-rex, you don’t have the power anymore”
Today’s challenges:
·         How the heck do you do whole30 when you have NO time to cook
·         My sugar demon Sugar-sauras-rex is mean and won’t leave me along

Things I learned today:
·         Sometimes you just have to stick it through. Life isn’t always easy but you can’t always just quit
·         Preparation is a good thing, it helps when you are in a bind.
·         Reading the book really helps you understand why you should do this
Whole30 fact of the day: for all you fact based people: there has been so much research and so many studies that went into the whole30 program. It’s not just a willy nilly on the fly thing. There is actual evidence as to why this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment