Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Whole30

For the next 30 days this blog will be dedicated to my whole30 journey. I will post my meals, my thoughts, the things I have learned along the way. Ultimately I would like everyone to be able to heal their life and break the addiction we all have to unhealthy foods.  This is my no judgment zone. This is not to pressure anyone to doing the whole30 program. This is simply my honest journey and my hard learned lessons.
 I had heard about the whole30 program before (things like this are frequently talked about in the crossfit community) but I hadn’t ever wanted to try it. I knew it meant cutting out sugar and there was NO way I could do that. It never even tempted me. I am a sugar addict through and through. Plus I didn’t have even close to the self-discipline it would take to complete this.  Therefore not a second thought was given.
Then came my weight struggle.
I have been packing on the lbs. for some time now. I officially weigh 30lbs over what I weighed when Jer and I got married. Sad.. I have known that I need to lose weight and have made feeble attempts at it the past 2.5 years. For our insurance at work this year we have to do a biometric screening, measuring our cholesterol, weight, waist circumference, etc. I went in with all the confidence in the world. My cholesterol hasn’t ever been bad, my waist is the smallest part on my body. I had it in the bag. NOT! My triglycerides were high, my good cholesterol was low and I was 1 inch away from being beyond the healthy measurements for my waist.  What!? I knew I was over-weight but I never even thought it was affecting my health. After talking to my Dr. I knew, I HAD to lose weight.
Then I had a divine intervention.
 One if the girls I follow on instagram posted she was starting the whole30. I was desperate to try anything so googled Whole30. And this is what I found. Whole30 version 4.0 http://whole9life.com/2011/06/whole-30-v4/
I read through the dos and don’ts of the diet. The promises about health associated with this program. But what really got me were these 2 sentences “We cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact – the next 30 days will change your life.” “It could, quite possibly, change the emotional relationship you have with food, and with your body.” It is no secret that the relationship I have with my body isn’t a pleasant one. I have never loved or appreciated it. I have never accepted it the way it is. I have never liked it. If nothing else happened in the entire 30 days besides me learning to love my body, it would make it worth it. But as I continued reading I knew that would not be the only change. This was for me. I was going to do it!
I decided I would start Monday (this was on Thursday). Well the weekend came and went as busy as usual and by Sunday night I realized I hadn’t gone to the grocery store, I had very little whole food in my fridge and I was not prepared at all. But I couldn’t shake the saying from the whole30 website “ It’s simple, actually.  Start now. Today. This minute. Even if you don’t believe this will actually change your life, if you’re willing to give it 30 short days, do it.  It is that important. We believe in it that much. It changed our lives, and we want it to change yours too.”
I wasn’t going to give myself the opportunity to make excuses. I had committed 100%. I was starting the whole30. Today. This minute. And the next 30 days to come might possibly be the craziest/hardest/best/most rewarding/amazing ride of my life so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment