Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 7

Happy Mother’s day!
I love mother’s day. I love my mom so much that any reason to celebrate her is a good day to me. 
I slept in today, so lovely. I haven’t been sleeping very well since doing the whole30. I toss and turn all night feeling restless. I fall asleep late and wake up early. My dreams have been vivid and crazy. All this adds up to not very restful sleep. But I was able to sleep in a bit which was nice!
I made scrambled eggs and sliced a few tomatoes on the side. The cold fresh tomatoes were so yummy. I like cold things for breakfast. I ate that and watched one of my many favorite shows “Mr. Selfridge”. It’s so good! I really enjoyed eating my breakfast to it.
I think this is getting easier. It seems like just part of the routine now. Hopefully it stays that way.
I got all my goodies together; Salad stuff, salad dressing, berries, my kitchen aid, coconut milk, and my coconut flakes. It’s hard when you eat this way. You have to BYOF all the time. You can’t really eat whatever on this. If you want to eat a salad, you have to make sure you bring your own dressing.
I got to my parents’ house and we played outside. My mom got a new rug for mother’s day so we put that under her table and swept off the patio. We just enjoyed the outdoors. My dad and I didn’t get all we needed on Saturday so we went to the store to pick up some last minute items. At the store I found these adorable little ice trays in the shape of stars. I remember reading on the whole9 website that people sometimes freeze no sugar added fruit juice into ice cubes then add a few to sparkling water to give it a little flavor. I looked at the organic juice and found an Orange Mango, no sugar added. So I bought that, the ice trays and some Club soda. When we got home I filled up the ice trays and put them in the deep freeze, hoping that they would freeze fast!
 I was starved and there was still hours until dinner. I had to eat something fast! My mom and Tori and I went to Whole foods so I could see if they had some lunch meat that was whole30 approved that I could snack on. They had Applegate turkey Bolognese, and Applegate turkey hot dogs. I bought some spicy mustard to go with it and also picked up some coconut aminos (to make the world’s best chicken). The Bolognese was actually really good. I put the mustard on it then rolled it up and ate it plain. It was really good. The hot dog however was horrible! It was so gross! Don’t ever buy them. It tastes like chicken broth watered down the with nasty spices thrown in. I couldn’t even finish one. What a waste of money!
While we were waiting for time to dinner time to come I played outside with the kids. We played crack the egg and dead man on the tramp. Then went out front and played red light, green light and Mother may I. We made a delicious dinner of Steak, brussel sprouts, zucchini, and sautéed mushrooms (sautéed in ghee) and a big salad. I ate to my heart’s content. It was so yummy. Once again I am so grateful my family is so supportive. They made me my own little bag of veggies cooked without butter and my mom wanted this dinner because I was something I could eat. I really have the best mom on the planet. The dinner was so good! The steaks were HUGE! I couldn’t even finish half.
I wanted to eat dessert today (I know, I know no dessert on the whole30) but in the Well Fed cook book there is a recipe for whipped coconut cream on berries with toasted coconut on top. It looked so tasty! And in the book they said every recipe is whole30 approved. I felt ok about it. I try not to eat more than one serving of fruit a day. I specifically didn’t eat any fruit with breakfast or lunch so I could eat this after dinner. I put my coconut milk, bowl, and mixer in the freezer, then we did gifts and played outside more. I whipped up my coconut milk after 15 minutes and it was interesting. If you are going to make this don’t expect it to taste sweet like cream. At first I hated it. I love whipped cream and it was nothing like that. But once you accept the fact that it’s going to taste different I actually loved it. The toasted coconut I put on top was unsweetened and had salt and cinnamon on it. The salt and the sweet of the berries was such a yummy combo. It was a very special treat! I put my juice cubes in some seltzer water and put that in a cute little cup my mom gave me for “going to be a mother someday day” and it was a perfect combo.
It was a lovely mother’s day. I did an entire celebration day without cheating at all. If you think you couldn’t do a holiday while on this, trust me, you can! I did it. So can you!
Today’s challenges:
·         It’s a holiday, and holiday means sweets
·         There was baked potatoes at dinner, I love baked potatoes and I couldn’t have one
·         Finding lunch meat that is whole30 approved
Things I learned today:
·         Applegate turkey hotdogs are NASTY! Don’t ever buy them
·         Bolognese isn’t too bad
·         Coconut milk can whip up exactly the same as heavy cream
·         I need to be nice, the “kill all the things” stage is lasting too long
·         No sugar = a very grouchy me
·         Frozen juice cubes in sparkling water is a nice once in a while treat
Whole30 fact of the day: There is a whole30 specifically designed for Vegans and Vegetarians. Go here for more info:  http://whole9life.com/2012/03/paleo-nutrition-for-vegetarians/

No comments:

Post a Comment