Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 2

Today was a big day of learning for me.
I made the same breakfast as yesterday (since I STILL haven’t gone to the grocery store) it was tasty but it would be better with mushrooms in it.
Had left over taco salad for lunch. Same as yesterday.
In between meals I would eat a stick of trident gum. Well I got thinking “I wonder if gum is approved, I mean how much of what is in the gum really gets in your system. It should be fine right?” Wrong. I researched, using the ever so helpful whole30 forum. No gum. The moderator said “Nope. We don't want you chewing unless you are eating real food. Chewing gum fakes out your digestive system.” They also talked about the oral fixation. Something I had never heard of before. Apparently I have it. My mouth needs to have something in it at all times. Hence the snacking problem I have. Brilliant! Why had I never thought of that before? I mean come on, I sucked a pluggy (binky) until I was 6. Oral fixation much? My snacking was never about being hungry; my body doesn’t need the food, it’s all about the oral fixation. Well that and the fact that I am nervous about having bad breath. That is the worst! So as I researched further I found these drops called Wow Wow drops. They are sold at iHerb.com. It is peppermint oil and Chlorophyll and you just do a drop and breathe in, it freshens your breath and according to others leaves your mouth so fresh you don’t want to eat. Done! I went on the website right away. The cost? $5.18 but you get a $5.00 discount if you are a first time customer. The drops cost me a total of .18. I will let you know how well they work when I get them.
I had Zumba class to go to tonight (my first time but that is a WHOLE different story). So I wanted something quick and easy for dinner. I thought BLTA’s minus the bread and mayo and sweet potato fries. Easy, quick and delicious. I checked the forum to make sure bacon was ok, fully expecting not to have any problems. Well I wish I hadn’t opened that can of worms. This is a link to the bacon manifesto put out by whole30 http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/
In a nutshell bacon isn’t horrible for you; granted its good quality, sugar free bacon. Good luck finding sugar free bacon. I went to 3 stores yesterday and searched high and low on the internet for it. FINALLY I found what I was looking for Gwaltney hickory smoked and hard wood smoked bacon are sugar free! As guess what? They sell them at Wal-Mart. After going to Whole foods, Winco then finally Wal-Mart I was able to buy some sugar free bacon.
After zumba I cut up the sweet potato fries, drizzled olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika on them and put them in the oven.  Cooked the bacon, cut up the veggies and ate my delicious meal.
After dinner I finally read the bacon manifesto.  After reading it, I have decided that while I don’t feel guilty about eating it, I most likely won’t be eating it again during my whole30. Yes it is tasty, no its not awful but there are so many other delightful meats I could eat. I want to get the full effect from this. Which means making better choices. It’s not a bad choice it’s just not the best choice. I want to make the best choices. So it was  a wonderful dinner, very tasty but won’t happen again.
One of my other weaknesses that I have recognized so far is that sometimes I just want to drink something other than water.  But I thought on the whole30 there wasn’t any other options. Of course I went to the whole9 website and found this lovely article.
One of the options is kombucha.  My mom drinks kombucha and I tried it once. The worst most disgusting thing in the whole world! When I saw that was an option I wanted to cry. I would rather drink nothing but water. Then I kind researched it a little more. It has such good health properties. According to foodrenegade.com kombucha gives your body what it needs to heal itself by 1)aiding your liver in removing harmful substances, 2)promoting balance in your digestive system, and 3)being rich in health-promoting vitamins, enzymes, and acids.” Among many other things.
While I was at whole foods I saw the kombucha case. I hesitantly went up to it. Looked at the disgusting bottles of gunk. Saw one that was mango, looked at the ingredients. No added sugar. Took I to the register and purchased it. It sat in my drink holder the whole way home. I was scared. I didn’t want to open it only to realize I just wasted $4.00 on something completely inedible. I took a deep breath, open the jar and took a big gulp. AMBROSIA! Just kidding.  I was however completely taken back. It wasn’t the horrible swamp juice I remembered. The mango made it taste good actually. While it still smells a big funky it was very refreshing and actually delightful. I drank half the bottle then thought I better save some for another day.
Other goodies I got at whole foods are Ghee the only approved dairy on the whole30. TessieMae salad dressing, check them out. All their hot sauces, and salad dressings are whole30 approved. They have all sorts of tasty dressings. And sugar free pizza sauce for our Meatza party this weekend. We love meatza!
My last insight today was that this whole30 thing makes my brain feel awesome. I finally feel like I have some control in my life. I control my thoughts, I control what I eat, I control the food, it does not control me. It’s so freeing to be able to not have to worry about calories, and fat and dieting. I just have to wake up, know I will be eating wholesome food and that is all. I feel light. I know its only been 2 days, and I am sure the weight and inches wont validate what I feel but I just feel light. I don’t feel bogged down by the stress or the food. Today I decided that the whole 30 days I am going to do positive affirmations. Since this is my honestly blog I will share mine.
 “I weight 130 lbs. I am lean, strong and healthy”
You can bet this is going through my head 1000 times a day.
Today’s challenges:
·         no gum!
·         Sugar-sauras-rex is still roaring as loud as ever.
·         Finding sugar free bacon.
·         Going to the grocery store and seeing all the bad for you (but oh so tasty) foods that my body is addicted to.
Things I learned today:
·         bacon, while not being against the rules is something I wont be indulging in again L.
·         But if needs be, Gwaltney hickory smoked is a sugar free bacon.
·         Kombucha is tasty and something I like to drink.
·         I have an Oral fixation. Something I can totally get over
·         iHerb.com has great deals on lots of healthy options
·         sweet potatoes taste like candy, yum!
·         Gum is of limits
·         The whole30 is more than just healing your body, it heals your mind.
·         I weight 130 lbs. I am lean, strong, and healthy J
Whole30 fact of the day: did you know that the whole30 has been shown to heal a ton of physical ailments? Including infertility!
Whole9 Good Food Manifesto Facebook cover photo

No comments:

Post a Comment